Keeping your garage doors properly lubricated is an important step in garage door maintenance, and it’s ideal for the system to remain healthy and active for years to come. Kelly’s Garage Door Sales & Service in Branson, MO, knows which lubricants are best for keeping your garage door in top condition. A garage door unit should be lubricated at least once a year, but most homeowners will go the entire life of their doors without keeping them properly maintained.
If you’re looking for one way to keep up with garage door maintenance, here’s a list of different lubricants and how each will affect your garage door:
- WD-40: Many homeowners commonly mistake this item as a lubricant for just about anything. While WD-40 has many great uses, garage door maintenance is not one of them. In fact, this product is not a lubricant at all, but rather a cleaner. When you use this product to correct a creaky door, what you’re actually doing is removing the rust and residue creating that creaking sound.
- Grease: For those who work on their cars, mechanic’s grease is a must-have. Many will mistakenly use this product as a lubricant for garage doors, not realizing that grease is a huge attractor of dirt and dust. Using grease as a lubricant for your garage doors will likely attract the buildup of dirt, dust, and grime — effectively ruining the smooth operation of your garage door.
- Oil: Oil is a great lubricant for door parts; however, it is extremely messy. As a runny substance, oil will pour out of its container like syrup and will likely pour out of your garage door parts just as easily, leaving a huge mess in your garage.
- While Lithium Grease: Contrary to mechanic’s grease, this product is P.T.F.E. fortified, durable, and non-staining. It provides much better friction reduction compared to other lubricants, making operation between similar or different materials a breeze. This professional grade product is great to use on all moving parts found on residential, commercial, and industrial garage doors.
- Silicone-Based Lubricants: These lubricants, which can be found in just about any home improvement store, are the best way to lubricate your garage door. They easily maneuver their way into moving garage door parts and remain there for a long period of time.
If you’re unsure about how to lubricate your garage door, call the professionals at Kelly’s Garage Door Sales & Service at (417) 336-4381, or find them online. Their staff of expert garage door service providers will be able to answer any questions you may have.