27 million Americans suffer from osteoarthritis, a disease where the cartilage around your joints begin to degenerate, causing your bones to rub against other bones, resulting in extreme pain and limited mobility. Located in Lexington, KY, Lexington Orthopaedic Associates’ orthopaedic doctors have found preventative methods to reduce the chance of developing joint and hip osteoarthritis.They also understand how osteoarthritis can have a negative impact on your life.
They’ve helped create a list of suggestions and steps you can take to contribute to prevention of osteoarthritis:
- Maintain A Healthy Weight: Keeping your weight at the proper BMI will decrease the pressure that’s put on your joints, especially your knees and hips. If you are experiencing pain, then losing some weight can help to partially eliminate it.
- Exercise: Weak muscles can contribute to osteoarthritis, particularly in your legs. Strengthening these muscles can help to reduce symptoms of pain. If exercise causes pain on your joints, then you can try opting for low impact activities, such as biking or swimming.
- Eat Right: Eating foods rich with omega-3 fatty acids will help to prevent arthritis. Vitamin C and D also help your immune system slow the progression of the disease.
- Maintain Posture: Slouching down will cause the joints in your back to wear down quicker. Orthopaedic doctors recommend sitting up straight and maintaining good posture.
- Avoid Repetitive Movement: If you move your body in the same motion repeatedly, it can wreak havoc on your joints. Make sure you’re taking regular breaks and making changes to your movements.
Osteoarthritis can affect the overall quality of your life, so it’s important to take preventive measures to ensure you don’t suffer from the symptoms. Ask your orthopaedic doctor more about your treatment options. If you live in Lexington, visit the orthopaedic doctors and professionals at Lexington Orthopaedic Associates. For more information about the services offered, visit the website, or call at (859) 277-5703.