Giving a eulogy at a friend or family member’s funeral is not an easy task. If you’ve been selected to give a eulogy at someone’s funeral but aren’t sure where to start, don’t worry. Porto Funeral Homes in Connecticut has years of experience in organizing compassionate and memorable funeral services and has a few tips on how to write the perfect eulogy for your loved one.
Follow these steps to create a meaningful eulogy:
- Gather Your Thoughts: After hearing about a loved one’s passing, a flood of thoughts and emotions will come rushing to you all at once. This can be very difficult but is also beneficial to you if you plan to deliver a eulogy at a funeral service. Take this time to jot down any special memories, anecdotes, and emotions you may have as they will help to craft your eulogy. Remember to include special things such as accomplishments of the person who has passed, their hobbies and interests, and any poems or biblical references that remind you of your loved one.
- Choose A Theme: Once you have gathered your thoughts, take a look at what you have written down and try to pick out a dominating theme. This will help you decide how you would like to present the material. Perhaps you’d like to deliver the memories and anecdotes in chronological order. Maybe this person’s favorite hobby keeps appearing in your memories of him or her. Choosing a central theme for your speech will make it easier to decipher which stories are most important and which can be excluded from the eulogy.
- Poems, Quotes, And Biblical References: Choosing the theme will also help you to pick out special poems, quotes, and biblical references that are important to you and remind you of your loved one.
- Finishing Up: After you’ve developed your narrative, it’s time to arrange your eulogy in an order that makes sense. Remember, you will be speaking for a minimum of two minutes and a maximum of ten minutes. Take the time to read your eulogy aloud prior to the funeral service to help decide what to cut out or add in.
- Practice: Practice makes perfect, so remember to take lots of time to read and reread your speech prior to the funeral. Nothing will be able to stop the emotions on the day of the funeral services, but a good deal of practice will help you to stay on track.
For a beautiful funeral service to accompany your eulogy, call Porto Funeral Homes at (203) 467-3000 today.