Providing protective pet care with a humane invisible fence is Invisible Fence of Newtown’s top priority. With the spring season in full bloom in Connecticut, and summer’s seeds about to bud, it’s important to know what kinds of plants and flowers could be harmful to your furry friends.
While dogs and cats enjoy the nice weather, they also enjoy stirring up trouble in the garden! Are your plants and flowers safe for them to be sniffing around in unsupervised? Here are the top five most common plants and flowers that are also toxic to dogs and cats:
- Azaleas: Blooming in the spring and exploding in the summer, these pink beauties are not as innocent as they appear. In fact, azaleas are quite toxic to both dogs and cats, causing vomiting, diarrhea, cardiovascular collapse, and death. Make sure these poisonous petals are well out of reach of your four-legged family members, and take an extra precaution by installing an invisible fence.
- Begonias: These flowers are toxic to dogs and cats, and can cause an intense irritation of the mouth when consumed. If you plan to leave your cat or dog in the yard, it’s a good idea to have an invisible fence surrounding the shrubbery.
- Chives: While chives may be delicious on baked potatoes, unfortunately, this plant is also toxic to dogs and cats. Signs of toxicity include vomiting, breakdown of red blood cells, and bloody urine.
- Daffodils: What says springtime more than a daffodil? However, daffodils are toxic to dogs and cats. When consumed in large quantities, it can cause convulsions. Avoid a trip to urgent pet care and have a humane invisible fence installed for your pets.
- Oak Trees: These gentle giants are great for providing shade and cool breezes, but watch that your pets don’t ingest the shoots and leaves.
Giving the best pet care starts with a safe home inside and out. Don’t wait until it’s too late to protect your pet against the elements of spring and summer. Call Invisible Fence of Newtown today at (866) 804-1250 to make sure your pets have the safest summer possible!