Like any machine, computers need to receive regular maintenance to run at peak performance levels. The computer maintenance experts at Greater Cincinnati Computer in Cincinnati, OH, have extensive experience providing clients with exceptional computer repair and over the years, they’ve learned quite a few maintenance tricks as well.
If you want your computer to have a long lifespan, try these five computer maintenance tips from Greater Cincinnati Computer:
- Keep Software Updated: Having spyware and antivirus software on your computer is always a good idea, but it’s useless unless you update the programs regularly. You should also configure them to perform weekly spyware and virus scans to keep your machine safe.
- Remove Junk: Garbage files can pile up on your machine quickly unless you periodically remove them. Try purging your temporary folder once a week and deleting old programs to free up some additional space on your hard drive; doing so will improve your computer’s speed and performance.
- Be Wary Of What You Install: Some software, especially freeware, can install things that you don’t want on your computer, such as additional programs or add-ons. Always pay attention to what you install by reading in detail the pop-up boxes during the installation process.
- Defrag Your Hard Drive: Over time, the files on your computer can become scattered. Defragmenting your hard drive will bring all of these pieces back together, increasing the computer's response time. The computer repair experts at Greater Cincinnati Computer recommend defragmenting at least once a month.
- Increase RAM: If you’ve noticed your computer is running abnormally slow, it could mean that you need to expand its random access memory (RAM). Before doing this, make sure you’ve also tried all of the steps above to improve your computer's performance.
For more helpful computer maintenance tips, contact the computer service experts at Greater Cincinnati Computer today at (513) 985-1300, or visit them online for a complete list of services.