Unfortunately, even if your home may seem safe, certain unexpected problems can occur that could put you and your family at risk. One of these issues is carbon monoxide poisoning, a variety of health problems that are caused by inhaling this invisible and odorless toxic gas of the same name.
To encourage you to get your house’s carbon monoxide levels checked, the heating contractors at Arctic Chain Plumbing & Heating have outlined some of the effects that prolonged exposure to carbon monoxide can have on the body:
- Headaches, Dizziness, Vomiting, & Nausea: Even inhaling the gas in small amounts can make anyone in the area very sick. Small children and the elderly are especially susceptible due to their developing and weaker cardiovascular systems, respectively. If you notice a combination of any of these symptoms in multiple family members, call Artic Chain Plumbing & Heating right away.
- Increased Risk Of Heart Disease: Since oxygen passes through our heart and lungs to keep our blood pumping, any chemicals or toxins in the air will come through with it. Even though the effects of carbon monoxide on the heart aren’t immediate, they can still be severely damaging and leave you with a much higher chance of failing arteries later in life.
- Death: If you are exposed to carbon dioxide long enough, the lack of oxygen to your blood will simply kill you. In an enclosed and sealed space like a room in your home, asphyxiation can happen in less than an hour. To make sure this doesn’t happen to your or anyone else you love, get your house property checked for carbon monoxide as soon as possible, and keep up the inspections on a yearly basis.
If you are worried your furnace or boiler could be leaking carbon monoxide, call Arctic Chain Plumbing & Heating Inc. at (907) 344-2060 today. You can also go online to their website for more information.