On Thursday, June 13th Touro College Graduate School of Technology celebrated its 2013 Commencement for students of the Information Systems, Instructional Technology, and Web & Multimedia Design graduate programs. Among the guests who spoke at the commencement ceremony was Ted White, a newly graduated Touro College GST alumnus who applied his education to his work as a consultant with some of the most prestigious technology companies.
When interviewed by Touro College GST about his academic history with the NYC technology school, Ted White had this to say:
- What is your academic history?I attended SUNY at Stony Brook and majored in Biochemistry. I left before I completed my degree and went to work. I took some classes at night at the New School learning programming. I finished my bachelors’ degree at NYIT majoring in computer science and business. I started my graduate degree at Touro in the fall of 2010 and graduated in June 2013.
- What inspired you to become a student of Touro College GST?My twin sons had graduated college in 2010 and I always wanted to go back for my masters. Touro College GST offered the type of program I was looking for, was convenient to my work schedule, and was reasonably priced.
- Which Touro College GST class was the most influential?I have to say that two classes that stood out to me were Project Management with Professor Muskopf and Innovation with Professor Fortino.
- What career or professional benefits do you see in having earned a master's degree? I feel more confident in my role as a Systems Professional and dealing with other senior executives. I hope I will have an opportunity to teach some day and I believe the MS is a minimum requirement to teach on the college level. I am also able to look at opportunities that require a master’s degree, which opens up many more senior level positions.
- How did Touro College GST’s unique graduate school curriculum help you in your career?The formal PM skills have been very helpful in a corporate context and the leadership skills give me insight into dealing with senior colleagues. I am applying the innovation skills on a regular basis at work to solve problems in creative ways.
- What is your proudest accomplishment in the tech industry?I’ve built a lot of good teams of people who have diverse backgrounds and skills. They are often at different levels and career strategies, but they have worked together as a team to deliver value. The technical aspect of most projects, especially large enterprise wide efforts are usually dwarfed by the human aspect. I’ve delivered a lot of projects ad systems over the years, but the people part of the job is the toughest and the most rewarding.
Ted White applied the technical knowledge and leadership skills learned at Touro College GST to his consulting work with Barclays Capital and other top companies in the industry! To learn more about other successful alumni of Touro College Graduate School of Technology’s Information Systems, Instructional Technology, and Web & Multimedia Design programs, follow the school on Facebook or contact:
Touro College & University System Graduate School of Technology
27 West 23 Street, Room 331, New York, NY 10010