The faculty of Touro College Graduate School of Technology is always delighted to hear stories of students who have achieved their career goals by working diligently within the graduate degree program. Previously, Touro College GST shared the story of alumnus Alex Segal, who was hired as a Jr. Software Engineer for Citibank after graduation. This month, New York City’s top technology school shares an interview with Amit Patel, a current student who passed the very difficult PMP® exam on the first try, resulting in a career-changing Project Management Professional certification.
- What inspired you to become a student of Touro College GST? When do you graduate?I was looking for a master’s program in Information Technology that was designed with working professionals in mind. I reviewed the master’s programs available in various colleges around New York City and the master’s program at Touro GST with a concentration in Technology Leadership attracted me the most. The program offers a rich curriculum that includes Information Technology Project Management, Advanced IT Project Management, Budgeting and Finance for Technology Managers, and Strategic Management of Technology. I enrolled in MSIS with Technology Leadership concentration in fall 2012 semester and expect to graduate in fall 2014.
- What inspires you about your industry/career path of choice?I finished my Bachelor of Engineering undergraduate program in 1991 with a major in electronics. However, I chose to work in IT, specifically in database administration. I earned certifications as an Oracle Certified Professional (OCP) for various Oracle RDBMS releases. After working for over 16 years in technical roles within database administration, I began searching for a transition from a technical role to a more managerial one. I worked in a management role for about a year during the absence of my supervisor. The management challenges I faced there motivated me to pursue higher education. I believe that education provides a good foundation and having the proper professional education certainly helps my performance at work and can help me gain further opportunities.
- Which Touro College GST class was the most influential?I am very pleased with all classes that I have completed so far, such as Information Technology Project Management and Implementation of Technology Innovations. I found both project management courses, MSIS 609 and MSIS 610, to be highly influential.
- How did Touro College GST's courses and professors help you to pass the difficult PMP® at first attempt? I took Touro College GST's online Information Technology Project Management course. It gave me a good foundation in project management and techniques in context with PMI’s PMBOK ® Guide (Project Management Body of Knowledge). The foundation created by course MSIS 609 helped in MSIS 610 (Advanced IT Project Management). Professor Muskopf taught this class quoting his experiences in project management, inviting guest speakers to share industry experience, and teaching how project management framework applies to real projects. In addition, assignments and quizzes during every class session motivated me to focus on continuous preparation.
In addition to delivering project management courses, Professor Muskopf was constantly motivating the class to earn their PMP ® (Project Management Professional) certification. This helped me to understand the professional value and respect held for those who attain PMP® certification. Earning PMP® certification meant a lot to me for my official standing as a project manager. This certification has opened an avenue for me to participate in various project management communities. All these opportunities collectively will help me in career advancement.
- What are your plans for the future within your career?My short term career aspiration is to become a successful project manager where I can employ my technical skills in project management framework and lead projects to their success. I would also like to mentor those who seek to learn project management.
Students in the Master of Science Information Systems program can look to Amit Patel as an inspiring example of an individual and their study towards tangible career development. To learn more about Amit Patel’s growing career in project management, or to discover the career options available to those studying in the Master of Science program, visit Touro College Graduate School of Technology online or contact Jack Romano at 877-669-7227.