Whether you are buying a new home, or just switching insurance agencies, make sure you are covered in all aspects of your policy for things such as, water damage, smoke and fire restoration, mold remediation, vandalism and trauma clean ups.
For water damage, make sure you know where to locate your main water shut off in case of an emergency. More than 40 percent of homeowners today have encountered a flood in their home at some point or another. This could be caused by a frozen pipe burst, leaking pipes and roof, washing machine and fridge water line hoses, plumbing issue or the simply over flow of a toilet or bath tub. Remember these important do’s and don’ts when it comes to water damage in your home.
What to DO:
- Call a professional as soon as possible. Don’t wait. Damage from water and bacteria growth can begin within hours.
- Removed as much of the water from any surfaces by mopping and blotting. This prevents the water from going into other areas.
- Remove any wet area rugs or other floor covering that is not permanently attached. Do not attempt to start to start removing any wall-to-wall carpeting as it may be salvageable.
- Lift any drapery off the floor by looping through a coat hanger and place the hanger on the drapery rod.
- Wipe down the furniture, prop up wet furniture cushions for even drying and place aluminum foil under furniture legs to prevent damage to the furniture.
- Move all photos, paintings, and art objects to a safe and dry location.
- Open drawers, closets, and cabinet doors to enhance drying.
What NOT to Do:
- Do not enter a room with standing water until the electricity has been turned off to that area.
- Do not use a regular house hold vacuum to remove any of the water.
- Do not lift tacked down carpet without a professionals help.
- Do not us any electrical appliances while on wet carpet or flooring.
- Do not disturb visible mold. Disturbing the mold may cause it to spread throughout the home.
ServiceMaster of Columbia, offers all of the services you may need and will take the load off of you by working directly with your insurance company. ServiceMaster provides work in 14 counties around Mid- Missouri. For mold remediation, fire restoration, water mitigation, carpet and upholstery cleaning, trauma and vandalism clean up and many others, for more information or to schedule to have a disaster mastered, call ServiceMaster of Columbia, 573-443-8383.