Financial District, New York
28 Liberty Street, 6th Floor
New York, NY 10005
(212) 461-7152

The Immigration Lawyers at Berd & Klauss Explain M Visas & Their Time Limitations March 3, 2014

Financial District, Manhattan
The Immigration Lawyers at Berd & Klauss Explain M Visas & Their Time Limitations, Manhattan, New York

An M Visa is designated for aliens who wish to come to the United States in order to pursue full-time studies at a school or institution within the country. Those looking to obtain an M Visa must plan to pursue a full course of study at a pre-approved college or vocational institution. There are other requirements that must be met in order to become eligible for an M Visa, such as maintaining a foreign residence and being qualified for the particular area of study. Generally, students carrying an M Visa are permitted to stay in the United States for one year; however, an extension of stay may be filed.

The skilled immigration attorneys at Berd & Klauss have extensive experience handling matters relating to M Visas. After completing your study, you may stay in the United States for a maximum of six months in order to complete employment for practical training. You are also given a 30-day grace period after both your studies and employment training have ended in order to prepare for return to your home country.

If you require more than one year’s time to complete your studies, you may be eligible to file for an extension of stay if you can establish the following:

  • You currently maintain a student status
  • You have a medical or educational reason for which a delay in your course of study has occurred
  • You are willing and able to maintain your student status for the extension of stay period

An extension of stay can be granted for a cumulative period of up to three years from the original start date. To petition for an extension of stay, you’ll need to fill out a Form I-539, or application to extend/change non-immigrant status. It's important to keep in mind that students holding M visas cannot change their status to an H-1B visa if the training received during your studies helped you qualify for an H status. For more information on filing extensions of stay, as well as general information on immigration law, visit Berd & Klauss online.

Other Announcements, Events and Deals from Berd & Klauss, PLLC
USCIS Resumes Premium Processing Service for H-1B Visa Petitions, Manhattan, New York
To catch up on a backlog of pending petitions, immigration law authorities suspended premium processing for most H-1B visa applications. As of March 12, USCIS has resumed this more
A Brief Guide to the EB-5 Visa for International Investors, Manhattan, New York
The EB-5 visa is a unique program designed to give legal status to foreign nationals who wish to invest substantial capital in a U.S. business. The EB-5 provides a pathway for more
FAQ About Immigration & Tax Law, Manhattan, New York
Tax season can be overwhelming for some U.S. citizens, but immigrants often face even more difficulty. Many wonder if they’re subject to higher tax rates, or whether immigration law more
DHS Announces Substantial Changes to the H-1B Lottery Process, Manhattan, New York
Late last year, immigration law authorities proposed a new online registration system for H-1B visa petitions intended to dramatically lower costs and increase efficiency. more
Proposed Rule Changes That May Impact Your H-1B Application, Manhattan, New York
In an effort to decrease the backlog of H-1B visa applications and the workload on USCIS personnel, the Department of Homeland Security is considering a rule change that would more