Financial District, New York
28 Liberty Street, 6th Floor
New York, NY 10005
(212) 461-7152

The Immigration Attorneys at Berd & Klauss, PLLC Describe J-1 Visas For Trainees And Interns July 1, 2014

Financial District, Manhattan
The Immigration Attorneys at Berd & Klauss, PLLC Describe J-1 Visas For Trainees And Interns, Manhattan, New York

The J-1 visa is available to non-immigrants who fall under the designation of “exchange visitor.” Visitors holding a J-1 visa travel to the Unites States via a Department of State approved sponsor program in order to teach, study, demonstrate, or receive training in special skills. If you’re an intern or a trainee looking to enhance your skills by studying in the U.S., the immigration lawyers at Berd & Klauss, PLLC in New York City have extensive experience helping aliens obtain J-1 visas for internship and training purposes.

An intern is a foreign national who is currently enrolled in or pursuing studies at a secodnary academic institution outside the United States, or who graduated from such an institution 12 months prior to the start date of his exchange visitor program, and who enters the United States to participate in an internship program in his field. An internship program is defined as a structured and guided work-based learning program that reinforces the student's or graduate's area of academic study, provides exposure to American techniques, and enhances knowledge of American culture and society.

A trainee differs from an intern in that a trainee possesses a degree or professional certificate from a foreign post-secondary academic institution and at least one year or prior related work experience in hir or her occupational field outside the United States. Additionally, a trainee can be a foreign national who possess five years of work experience in his or her field outside the United States and enters the country to participate in a structured work-based training program in a specific academic field.

In order for a foreign national to obtain a J-1 visa, he or she must have been accepted into one of the Exchange Visitor program categories, and must also have a sponsoring organization that is accredited through the Exchange Visitor Program. In addition, the alien must also have sufficient funds for the trip, be fluent in English, have a permanent residence abroad, and maintain medical insurance for any illnesses or accidents.

The alien must also submit various forms, such as the Certificate of Eligibility for Exchange Visitor Status, Nonimmigrant Visa Application, Supplemental Nonimmigrant Visa Application, and Work History. Aliens will also face processing fees, as well as program fees and a visa reciprocity fee in their home country.

Immigration law is often a complicated process. If you’re a foreign national looking to receive training or an internship in the United States, Berd & Klauss, PLLC will walk you through the process. Visit the immigration law firm online for more information.

Other Announcements, Events and Deals from Berd & Klauss, PLLC
Why Visitors to the U.S. Should Avoid Marijuana Dispensaries, Manhattan, New York
Marijuana dispensaries operate legally in several U.S. states, which may lead international visitors to assume they can safely visit these establishments. Unfortunately, due to more
4 Common Reasons for Rejected Visa Applications, Manhattan, New York
Many people hoping to travel to the United States for work, school, or vacation find themselves confused by the visa process, especially when their application is denied. US more
4 FAQs About Street Encounters with Police, Manhattan, New York
Many undocumented immigrants don’t fully understand their constitutional rights and worry that any interaction with the police will lead to deportation. Fortunately, this is not more
4 Questions to Ask Before Hiring an Immigration Attorney, Manhattan, New York
The U.S. immigration system is notoriously complex, with confusing requirements and guidelines that seem to change constantly. Whether you’re applying for a visa or hoping to become more
4 FAQ About Expiring Green Cards , Manhattan, New York
Individuals with a permanent resident alien status are allowed to stay in the United States indefinitely, but the identifying documents issued by USCIS do expire. Fortunately, an more