The staff at Waipahu Waikele Pet Hospital in Waipahu, HI, provides high-quality pet care and veterinary services. They know how much you love your pet, and as animal lovers themselves, they want to make sure your pet receives the professional, speedy care he or she deserves. Today, their experts want to cover a common and easily avoided problem for dogs: chocolate consumption.
Okay, so most of us know by now to not go around feeding dogs chocolate bars. Sometimes, though, dogs have a mind (and a mouth) of their own. That box of gourmet chocolate you thought was out of reach on the countertop? Nope.
Baker’s chocolate and dark chocolate, for example, are particularly toxic to dogs due to the high level of cocoa. Just one ounce of baker’s chocolate could cause a 50-pound dog to become ill, for example. It would take about eight ounces of milk chocolate to sicken the same sized dog.
That being said, the smaller the dog, or the more chocolate ingested, the more ill they may become. You may need to take your dog to the veterinary hospital if your dog experiences any of these symptoms:
- Increased body temperature
- Muscle rigidity
- Rapid breathing
- Increased heart rate
Keep your dog happy and healthy by taking him or her to the experts at the best veterinary hospital around. The Waipahu Waikele Pet Hospital offers a variety of pet services including pet boarding, pet surgery and extensive animal care. In case of emergency, they are also available 24/7. Call them at (808) 671-7387 or visit them online for more information.