Concrete is one of the strongest materials used in construction projects, from sidewalks in residential neighborhoods to foundations for large commercial buildings. For over half a century, Builder’s Concrete East has been serving the ready mixed concrete needs of residential, commercial, and industrial clients throughout Connecticut.
Most people think of concrete as the highly durable material that sidewalks and roads are made of, but concrete actually starts off as a wet mixture of paste plus sand and rock, known as fine and coarse aggregates. Here are some interesting facts about the uses and properties of concrete:
- When wet, concrete can be poured into any mold or form.
- When concrete hardens, the result is a rock-like formation that is strong enough to build sidewalks, highways, dams, and even skyscrapers.
- The paste used in concrete is made up of cement and water.
- In order to form the strongest concrete possible, the right amount of paste must be used. Too much paste can lead to weaker concrete that is prone to cracking, while too little paste will result in concrete with a rough and porous surface.
- Ready mixed concrete is typically comprised of about 60 to 75% aggregates, 15 to 20% percent water, and 10 to 15% cement.
- In addition to sand and rock, concrete may contain fly ash, ground slag, and silica fume, which are all byproducts of iron, steel, or metal manufacturing processes. Not only do these materials make concrete even stronger, but they also allow concrete suppliers like Builder’s Concrete East to recycle waste that would otherwise be headed for the landfill.
Whatever your concrete needs, Builder’s Concrete East can assist. Call (860) 456-4111 to find out how Connecticut’s top concrete company can assist you on your construction project. Visit the website to see a gallery featuring recent construction projects.