Escaping an abusive relationship takes a lot of courage, a sound plan, and a thorough understanding of your legal rights. If you've decided it's time to get out, the Law Office of Susan H. Carse, a divorce attorney with over 34 years' experience serving Anchorage men and women, has some tips for leaving safely.
The more planning you can accomplish before you leave, the better. As soon as you can, take some of the following steps before contacting a divorce attorney:
- Memorize the phone number to your local domestic violence shelter. You never know when you may need to call.
- Tell someone you trust about your situation. Develop an escape plan you can use in case of an emergency if you need to get out before you're ready, like a code word you can use in a conversation.
- Take any injuries to a doctor or emergency room, and make sure the injuries are in your medical records.
- Document all incidents of abuse, and take pictures of all your injuries.
- Identify a safe place for your children to go if things get out of hand, and make sure they know that their safety is the top priority.
- Keep a bag packed, and remember to bring an extra set of keys, IDs, and important documentation like your social security card, credit cards, marriage license, medications, banking information, and anything else that's important to you.
The Law Office of Susan H. Carse has extensive experience helping both men and women through these difficult, dangerous situations. If you need a divorce lawyer, visit Susan's website or call (907) 222-3705 to schedule a consultation today.