So many details go into planning a wedding, and knowing where to start can be intimidating. The best thing you can do is approach each step confidently, and choose expert vendors that can help guide you in the process. Once you’ve achieved this, knowing what to ask those vendors is another thing to consider. When it comes to wedding cakes, we can offer some insight on questions that every bride should ask her baker when deciding on the perfect wedding cake:
1. Would you provide me a sample quote?
Before you begin discussing cake flavors and styles, it helps to know your budget so your baker can recommend design options, flavor combinations and number of cake tiers within your price range. Asking for a cake quote will allow you to see the cost breakdown and adjust your requirements as needed..
2. What styles are currently popular?
Knowing the current trends in wedding cakes might help you make a decision about your own wedding cake style, whether you decide to go on-trend or totally unique! Using your wedding color palette, favorite flowers, bridal dress details even hobbies you enjoy as a couple are great inspirations for creating your own unique wedding cake design.
3. What are my decoration options?
Determining the types of decorations that a baker specializes in will help you decide which vendor to use, as well as what style of cake to order. Many bakers offer a whole range of decoration including hand-crafted sugar flowers, fondant ruffles and drapes, piped filigree, buttercream flowers, customized fondant toppers, and many more!
4. Do you finish with both fondant and buttercream?
Most bakers offer both fondant and buttercream finishes, and deciding between the two often comes down to your design preference. Not all cake designs can be accomplished by both fondant and buttercream, so if you have your heart set on a style or pattern ask your baker for the best finishing method for that particular cake.
5. Do you have cake stands available? Once you have the perfect cake picked out, it will need the perfect stand to be displayed on! Stands can range from large, intricate sterling silver pieces all the way to a simple platter with tasteful fruit or garland around the cake’s base. Ask your baker about their inventory, and for a recommendation on which style matches your cake.
Of all the foods you choose, your cake is without a doubt one of the most important elements of your big day. We hope these questions help make the process easier, so you can get the details sorted out and focus on the fun part: the designing of your wedding cake! To get an idea of the wedding cakes we design and create at Pink Posy, visit us online today to learn more.