When you don’t get enough rest, it’s hard to keep up with the demands of work or school. You're tired and sluggish, and it even feels as if your brain just doesn’t work the way it should. Whether the doctors at IMUA Orthopedics, Sports & Health in Honolulu, HI are performing an osteopathic manipulation or advising patients about nutrition, they’re concerned about your total health. They know just how important rest is to your well-being for the following reasons:
- Your Body Heals And Repairs Itself As You Sleep: If you don’t get enough rest, it can be harder to fight off viruses. If sleep deprivation continues long enough, your chance of developing high blood pressure or heart and kidney disease may increase.
- Lack Of Sleep Can Affect Your Weight: When you don't sleep well, the hormones that control your appetite can become unbalanced, and you may feel hungrier; this can lead to overeating.
- Not Getting Enough Rest Can Raise Your Blood Sugar Level: If you are constantly sleep deprived, you may be at a higher risk for developing diabetes.
- Your Ability To Make Decisions And Solve Problems Suffers: Lack of sleep can even affect your ability to react quickly; this can lead to accidents if you’re driving or operating complicated machinery.
- Sleep Helps You Build Muscle Mass And Recover From Injuries: While you sleep, your body releases a growth hormone that helps repair your muscles, cells, and tissues.
IMUA Orthopedics, Sports & Health is the place to visit if you’re interested in wellness coaching, sports medicine or performance optimization, or need an orthopedic surgeon. Make an appointment by calling (808) 521-IMUA or visit them online.