Similar to the desire to hit up the gym in January after gaining a few pounds due to overindulgent festive dining, many people feel compelled to improve their dental health in the New Year. We all have reasons to take better care of our teeth, whether it was a few too many candy canes leading to a tell-tale toothache or the unpleasant results of a year of not flossing as often as one should. Farmington Valley Dental, a premiere cosmetic dentistry practice in Connecticut, recognizes that it’s helpful to have a set of goals to achieve in the quest towards improved dental health.
Patients are encouraged to make an effort to follow these five simple dental resolutions in 2013:
- Floss More Often – Flossing is an integral part of any dental hygiene routine, as it removes food material and plaque that builds up in spaces that a toothbrush cannot reach. It is ideal to floss each day, but even simply increasing your flossing frequency to multiple times a week can dramatically improve the whiteness and health of your teeth, as well as the smell of your breath.
- Brush Right – Ask your dentist at Farmington Valley Dental how you can improve your brushing technique. Brushing too hard or for too short of a time can be detrimental to your dental health. Consider switching to an electric toothbrush, as it exerts the proper pressure and force upon the teeth without damaging the sensitive gum line of your mouth.
- Quit Smoking – Smoking is harmful not only to the health of your lungs and skin, but to your oral health as well. Smokers are far more likely than non-smokers to develop gum disease and to lose their teeth. Cutting back on the smokes can really help your pearly whites to shine for years to come.
- Drink More Water – We may not think of it, but drinking more water can help your health in countless ways. Along with aiding any weight loss goal and boosting the immune system, drinking more water each day can improve the smell of our breath and help fight cavities.
- Bi-Annual Dental Visits – Twenty-four hours in a day never seems to be enough, do they? Our time is limited and it can be difficult to squeeze in an appointment with the dentist, but making it a priority to visit your dental clinic twice a year can do wonders for your dental health. The dentist can perform a comprehensive cleaning and check your teeth and gums for any signs of disease or decay before they become a major problem.
New Year’s Resolutions aren’t all about weight loss and hitting fitness milestones. The efforts put towards taking care of your health and beauty of your smile will certainly not be overlooked during your next check-up to your Connecticut cosmetic dentist at Farmington Valley Dental.