Labor day is right around the corner and that means there will be picnics, barbecues and all sorts of festivities to attend. There’s no reason to put nutrition on the back burner this Labor Day weekend when there’s an abundance of delicious and nutritious dishes to enjoy.
Here are just a few healthy Labor Day food ideas from Oahu’s top orthopedic doctors and sports medicine experts at IMUA Orthopedics, Sports & Health:
- Watermelon: Watermelon is the perfect summertime treat and always a hit at Labor Day barbecues and picnics. Watermelon is a low calorie option and also an excellent source of lycopene, vitamin A and vitamin C.
- Avocado Tomato Salad: An avocado and tomato salad is jam packed with healthy fat and vitamin C. To make this flavorful side dish simply toss together lime juice, chopped cilantro, tomatoes and avocado.
- Turkey Burgers: If you plan on barbecuing over the Labor Day weekend, try grilling turkey burgers in place of hamburgers. Turkey is a lean meat option that has less calories than your typical hamburger. Be sure to buy ground turkey breast, which is the healthier option.
- Quinoa Salad: Having some quinoa is a great and healthy way to satisfy carb cravings. Quinoa is high in protein, iron, antioxidants and fiber. A delicious and filling quinoa salad can be prepared by mixing quinoa with your favorite herbs, vegetables, lemon juice or a vinaigrette.
- Berries: Cut calories but not flavor by serving fresh mixed berries for dessert. Containing antioxidants, berries help combat age-related memory loss while also decreasing inflammation.
Share your ideas and pictures of your healthy labor day dishes with IMUA Orthopedics Sports & Health on Facebook! If you are in need of osteopathic manipulation, wellness coaching or suffer from a sports related injury, see the doctors at IMUA Orthopedics Sports & Health. To schedule an appointment call (808) 521-8170. Be sure to visit their website for more information.