As soon as you hop into the dental chair and the bib is clasped around your neck, you know what the dentist is going to ask you. The dentist will put that tiny little mirror in between your teeth to investigate, and then the big question is asked: “Have you been flossing every day?” While the practice of brushing our teeth twice a day feels like an ingrained habit, flossing has become a pesky after-thought. But the truth is that flossing is just as important as brushing to your overall oral health.
The dentists and dental hygienists at Hudson Valley Dental Care: Lawrence Gilbert, DDS know this all too well. While Hudson Valley Dental Care is known all around Monroe, NY for its expertise in dental implants, tooth whitening, and dental bonding, the dentists also educate their clients on prevention. Here are five great reasons to floss every day, from the experts at Hudson Valley Dental Care:
- More Effective: Combining your twice-a-day tooth brushing with flossing delivers much more effective results. A toothbrush and toothpaste work to physically remove plaque on the surface of teeth, but the brush bristles cannot get between teeth or under the gums. That’s where floss comes in. If you combine the two, it’s like the Batman and Robin of oral care.
- Protects Gums: It’s easy for tiny particles of food to get stuck in the area between your teeth and your gum line. This can create plaque and tartar build-up, which can lead to serious gum diseases like gingivitis. Flossing is your best line of defense to protect your gums.
- Prevents Other Diseases: Extensive research has shown that oral health issues like gum disease can affect your health far beyond discolored teeth or bad breath. Poor oral health can lead to heart disease, diabetes, or respiratory illness.
- Prevents Tartar Build-Up: You know that uncomfortable part of a dental check-up where the dental hygienist scrapes hard plaque build-up from the gum line? Well, daily flossing can help reduce this need as you can tackle and remove plaque in its earlier, softer stages.
- Saves Money: A container of floss costs you a few bucks and can last a long time. The practice of flossing is a great prevention technique to avoid costly and rather uncomfortable dental needs like root canals.
Call Hudson Valley Dental Care: Lawrence Gilbert, DDS today at (845) 783-8326 to make an appointment, or visit the website to learn more about the practice's dental services.