Whether you have metal or invisible braces, it’s necessary to consider the types of food you eat to ensure your braces are still in place. When you are looking for “dentistry with a difference” in Monroe, NY, Hudson Valley Dental Care: Lawrence Gilbert, DDS is your premier dentist office offering preventative and restorative dentistry for healthy teeth worth smiling about.
Foods you should avoid are the types that can bend, break, and form plaque around braces, like hard, sticky, and sugary foods foods, such as:
- Ice: If you need a cold drink, opt for drinking with a straw, otherwise, the crunch can bend or break your brackets.
- Taffy: This tasty treat is a no-go for braces. The stickiness of the taffy can get easily caught between brackets, turning into plaque if not removed.
- Apples: While wearing braces, you won’t be able to bite into apples, so make sure all crunchy fruits and veggies are cut into small pieces.
- Popcorn: As delicious as popcorn is, it gets stuck in teeth whether or not you wear braces. The kernels are difficult to remove with braces, which can turn into tartar and cavities.
- Hard Candy: Loaded up with sugar and tough to eat, it’s best to avoid hard candies as they can bend or break your braces, as well as create cavities in hard-to-reach places.
Eating with your braces doesn’t have to be hard! For the firmer foods you can eat, make sure to cut them in small pieces. Your future straight teeth will thank you. From dental implants and whitening to general dentistry, Hudson Valley Dental Care: Lawrence Gilbert's team of oral health experts can create an individualized treatment for a beautiful smile.
Call (845) 783-8326 today to schedule your appointment, or visit online for more information.