Your pets may love the outdoors, but when nice weather moves in, so do pests. Whether your pets love frolicking in your yard, playing with pals at the dog park, or venturing on a hiking trail with you, fleas and ticks can become a serious problem. The pet doctors at Waipahu Waikele Pet Hospital in Waipahu, HI understand the warm weather issues you and your pet face, which is why they have compiled these tips to help your family pet stay pest-free.
Your pet’s body is the first line of defense against pests:
- Monthly flea treatments. Mark the treatments on your calendar and follow it like clockwork to ensure complete coverage. Follow label and veterinarian directions to ensure proper dosage amounts and intervals.
- Regular baths. Even if your pet doesn’t look dirty, they can be bothered by pests. Use pesticide-free shampoos that are specifically designed to reduce fleas and ticks.
- Comb the coat. By combing your pet regularly with a flea comb, you can reduce the itch-factor and remove unwanted bugs.
Strategic housecleaning will also keep fleas and ticks at bay:
- Wash pet bedding. If your pet has a favorite blanket or pet bed, clean it once or twice a week in hot, soapy water.
- Vacuum, vacuum, vacuum. Thorough and frequent vacuuming will not only remove fleas and ticks, but it can also remove pet allergens too! Make sure you vacuum all carpets, rugs, couch cushions, and cars that your dog frequents.
Always consult your vet before starting any treatment or utilizling pesticides. They will help you identify the best treatment option and the proper dosage for your pet. If you have any questions or concerns about your pet, please call Waipahu Waikele Pet Hospital at (808) 671-7387. And visit them online to see a full list of their pet services.