The odors from cigarette smoke can be a huge concern whether you're trying to find good and loyal tenants for your rental homes or moving out because your condominium lease is up.
There’s nothing worse than the smell of stale cigarettes, especially when you realize opening windows, aerosol room fresheners, and scented candles aren't strong enough to truly de-funk rental homes or apartments. The process of getting rid of the stench won't be easy, but any good Real Estate Agent will tell you, if you want to attract the perfect apartment finder or get your security deposit back - it's imperative.
It takes some work, and will likely require a multi-prong approach to eradicate the problem. But these odor-killing tips will have your rental property smelling fresh and inviting to prospective tenants!
- Open windows and turn on fans. Ventilation is the first step in removing or diluting any household odor. Don't forget to replace all heating and air filters.
- Vinegar will be your best friend. White vinegar cuts through odors naturally. Try wiping down furniture, washable walls, floors, etc. with white vinegar, and rinse thoroughly. Don’t forget to clean inside cabinets, drawers and closets. Also, try placing several bowls of vinegar around your rental home, leaving them there for several days.
- Steam-clean, disinfect and deodorize all carpets, window coverings, upholstered furniture, and mattresses with steam or other appropriate equipment. Upholstery, fabric window treatments, etc. can be spray-treated with deodorizing products, like Febreze, available at most supermarkets, but do not use odor-masking sprays.
- Repaint the walls to trap the odors. Use an odor-blocking primer underneath the new paint for extra coverage. This will seal away any remaining residue on the walls and prevent the cigarette smell from returning.
- In the same way that scent diffusers rely on heat from light bulbs to disperse the aroma of the scented oil, cigarette smoke residue can be dispersed throughout your rental home. Clean or change light bulbs and wash all the windows. The warmth of the sunshine can warm the residue-covered windows and reactivate the scent.
When your property is ready for it's close up, list with us! Lease Anywhere, LLC is a safe and reliable resource for renters seeking beautiful rental properties and homeowners looking to avoid the fear and frustration of finding good and loyal tenants. If you're looking for a local company with more than a decade of industry experience, give us a call.
Lease here. Lease there. Lease Anywhere!
ABOUT LEASE ANYWHERE
Lease Anywhere, LLC is the premier Texas real estate brokerage agency specializing in residential properties: houses, townhouses, and high-rise condos. They serve families, young professionals and students in Downtown Houston, Pearland, Katy, Sugar Land, Fairfield, Greater Heights and Memorial, Texas.