If you’ve been in any kind of accident, your health and safety comes first, and that means seeking immediate medical attention if needed. However, when an accident does not fit into this category, or you have been treated and can safely assess your situation, the Thompson Law Office recommends you take some vital steps to ensure you can hold those responsible accountable. The firm has accident lawyers who represent injured parties in all manner of accidents, including motorcycle accidents, wrongful death and other related personal injury claims.
When you have been injured in an accident:
- Document everything: Take notes, and even make a diary of the events as you remember them, as well as any injuries sustained. Collect information, addresses and name of witnesses and parties involved. Continue to contribute to your documented record for as long as necessary, even up until the conclusion of the process.
- Record injuries & property loss: Aim to take as many pictures of your injuries, property damages and other details (such as skid marks, stop signs, defective products, etc.) as you are able. Doing so will aid you in painting the most accurate picture of the events in court, if need be. Also, keep your medical records in a safe place. Keep and record any communications or documents you have between yourself and your insurer.
- File a police report: In certain instances, a police report should be filed—certainly in an automobile accident, but in other cases as well when a loss or damage to property has occurred. Also file one when someone has negligently caused you bodily harm, such as a dog bite.
- Stay at the scene: In any car accident, don’t leave the scene of the accident unless it’s to receive vital medical attention. If you are well enough to stay and leave, you could be liable for a hit and run. Instead, gather information of witness, don’t apologize to anyone on the scene, and wait for the police to arrive. Contact your insurer, document any communication, and don’t discuss the incident with anyone but the police, your insurer and an accident lawyer.
- Call accident lawyers: When you’re injured in any type of accident, search for qualified accident lawyers who will handle your claim type. Finding the right lawyer to advance your claim and help you receive the best settlement is crucial when dealing with insurers and a personal injury claim.
For help with your accident recovery, call the accident lawyers at Thompson Law Office by dialing (859) 280-2222, or visit them online for more information.