Many people know the signs of a natural gas leak, and remember to test their fire alarms once per year. But how often do you have your home inspected for carbon monoxide? A malfunctioning appliance anywhere in your home could leak CO into your home, and could end up posing a serious threat to your family's safety—and all without giving any signs that something is even wrong.
Arctic Chain Plumbing & Heating provides carbon monoxide testing to residents throughout Anchorage, and they want to stress the importance of this precautionary step:
- Carbon monoxide is a tasteless, colorless, odorless gas, and exposure to it can be lethal. It's produced by burning propane, gasoline, wood, coil, and almost any other fuel source.
- Exposure to carbon monoxide can cause nausea, shortness of breath, dizziness, and vomiting. Without treatment, it can eventually lead to organ shutdown, loss of consciousness, and death.
- Hundreds of people in the United States die of CO poisoning every year, but almost every one of those deaths could have been prevented.
- CO emissions are most often caused by faulty water heaters and furnaces. A plumbing and heating specialist can detect appliances which pose a threat, and repair the problem before the issue gets worse.
- In addition to regular carbon monoxide testing, households with natural gas should consider getting a carbon monoxide detector, which will alert you to any emissions before they have a chance to hurt anyone.
In addition to highly specialized carbon monoxide testing, Arctic Chain Plumbing & Heating provides a comprehensive set of services for your home. To learn more, visit their website or call (907) 344-2060.