When the temperature drops, your first thought is to turn up the heat, but that also means a bigger heating bill. The expert plumbing contractors at Arctic Chain Plumbing & Heating have been serving Anchorage and the surrounding areas since 1975, and they know you don't have to pay more to stay warm.
Check out some helpful tips to keep your heating bill low:
- Heat can escape through poorly insulated areas, particularly attics and leaky ducts. Installing proper insulation will mean lower energy bills and a warmer home. Also, check the weather stripping on doors and windows and replace them if they're cracked or worn.
- Invest in a programmable thermometer. You can set the temperature to be lowered during the times you're normally not at home, such as when you're at work and at night when you're sleeping.
- Heat only the rooms you use. Seal off the vents in the rooms you don't use to prevent wasting energy. You can also use space heaters for the areas you use the most and turn the thermostat down.
- Maintain your furnace. A clean furnace will be the more efficient and save you money. Change the filter once a month and remember to schedule regular cleanings.
- Open your curtains and let the sun warm your home. Even though the weather is cold, the day can still be sunny. Take advantage of nature's heat!
- If you have fans, they can help warm up your home. Heat rises, so set your fans to spin clockwise to push the warm air down.
Keep these tips in mind and see what a difference they can make for your energy bills. If you experience any issues, Arctic Chain Plumbing & Heating is available 24 hours for emergency plumbing and heating repair. Visit their website for more information, or call (907) 344-2060 to speak to a professional about scheduling plumbing and heating services.