Carbon monoxide is a toxic gas that has no color, odor, or taste. Each year, 1,500 people die of carbon monoxide poisoning, making it the leading cause of accidental poisoning fatalities; 10,000 more people seek medical help because of CO exposure. At Arctic Chain Plumbing & Heating, Anchorage’s premier heating and plumbing services and installation experts, they encourage all residents to have a working carbon monoxide detector, and they always stress the importance of making this device a permanent fixture in one’s home.
In cold weather months, we close and seal our windows and turn on our furnaces to stay warm. A faulty furnace, however, can have fatal repercussions: carbon monoxide gas can accumulate in the furnace, and be distributed throughout the house via the ventilation system. Given that the gas is undetectable to the senses, it can lead to violent illness or death in a short period of time.
Symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning include headache, fatigue, nausea and vomiting, dizziness, and confusion. It can also cause unstable vision, shortness of breath, and unconsciousness. Given the generality of these symptoms, it is vital that you seek medical help if you suspect CO poisoning.
The surest defense against carbon monoxide poisoning is a working CO detector. These devices measure CO levels over time, and, if dangerous levels are detected, an alarm sounds. It is important to note that a traditional smoke detector is NOT a carbon monoxide detector. These are two separate units, though given the relatively recent awareness of CO poisoning, manufacturers are now making dual smoke/CO units with two different devices in one unit.
Arctic Chain Plumbing & Heating is the Anchorage area’s most trusted source for highly skilled, fully licensed heating and plumbing repair specialists. They are on call 24/7 to provide emergency plumbing and heating work. Call (907) 344-2060 today to make sure your furnace is in proper working order, and stay safe during the cold winter months.