Selecting the method of birth control that is right for you can be overwhelming. There are many options to choose from, and not all forms are right for all women. For knowledgeable guidance and compassionate gynecological care in the Lincoln, NE area, call Contemporary Health Care for Women. The practice provides a full range of women’s health services and will help you determine the right birth control option for you.
There are many forms of birth control on the market today. Depending on your age, lifestyle and medical background, your OBGYN will help you choose the option that will be the most convenient and effective for you. Birth control options include:
- Contraceptive pills: Birth control pills are a safe, convenient and relatively easy way to get pregnancy protection. With most pill varieties, you take a single pill each day to prevent pregnancy. There are many pills to choose from; your OBGYN will help you find one that works best for you with the fewest side effects.
- IUDs: Intrauterine devices are small, T-shaped pieces of plastic or copper that are inserted into the uterus to prevent pregnancy. There are both hormonal and non-hormonal IUDs. They can provide protection for between three and 10 years. An IUD must be inserted by your OBGYN.
- Nexplanon: Nexplanon is a 4 centimeter rod that is inserted just under the skin in the upper arm. This is a reversible hormonal contraceptive that releases a progestin hormone that reduces the risk of pregnancy. This form of contraception is effective for 3 years and is inserted by your health care provider.
- Condoms: Worn by a man during sexual intercourse, condoms can prevent pregnancy and the spread of STDs. They are available without a prescription at the drugstore and can be combined with other contraceptive methods, like spermicides.
- Injections: A shot of the hormone progestin can prevent pregnancy for three months. You may need an exam before getting the injection.
These are only a few birth control options that may be available to you. Talk to your OBGYN to learn more about your choices, as well as any side effects they may include. If you’re in the Lincoln, NE area and looking for skilled gynecological care in a warm, friendly environment, call Contemporary Health Care for Women at (402) 486-4000. In addition to various birth control options, the practice offers contemporary obstetrics, lamaze classes, hormone therapy for menopause, and fertility treatment.