Nearly every homeowner has had to deal with insects, rodents, or other pests at some point. Whether you spot them in your yard or the house, dealing with a pest control problem is neither fun nor easy. Aside from the annoyance and “ick” factor, pests can carry diseases and cause structural damage to your house. So it’s important to get these intruders under control as soon as possible before a small problem turns into an infestation. The pest removal experts at Acme Pest Control in Concord, NC, understand that managing pests starts with preventative measures.
Below, they list some tips to help you keep insects and vermin at bay:
- Don’t Invite Pests In: Make it hard for pests to enter your home. Look for cracks around doors, windows, or other openings and seal them. Make sure your windows have screens that fit tightly. Any doors and windows without screens should be kept close.
- Keep Outdoor Areas Tidy: Don’t leave pet food bowls around the outside of your home, as the food will attract unwanted bugs and animals such as raccoons or opossums. Eliminate any standing water, which is a favorite breeding place for insects—especially mosquitoes. Give trees and bushes near your home a good pruning. Stacking firewood away from the house will help with termite control.
- Keep Food Sealed & Stored Away: Food should be stored in sealed containers. Fruit, especially once ripe, should be placed in the refrigerator to avoid attracting ants or flies. Consider lockable jars for cooking staples such as sugar and flour.
- Don’t Tempt Pests With Trash: Keep trash can lids tightly closed, whether in the kitchen or outdoors. Place outdoor trash cans away from the walls of your house. Dispose of old newspapers and other clutter, and keep recycling in the appropriate receptacle.
- Maintain Good Cleaning Habits: Keeping your house tidy and clean will go a long way in discouraging pests from invading. Declutter your kitchen counters and sink; wash dishes every night, or place them in the dishwasher. Sweep floors daily to pick up crumbs or spills. If you have pets, vacuuming carpets will help get rid of fleas and their eggs.
If your pest problem gets out of control, consider calling a professional pest control company. Acme Pest Control provides a wide range of pest removal services to deal with your specific issue. Call (704) 707-4748 to speak with one of their experts or visit their website for more information.