In a single month, your garage door can go up and down hundreds of times. With several moving parts that are continuously exposed to the elements, this home entrance requires regular maintenance to function smoothly.
When it comes to scheduling a tuneup, there are many factors to consider:
- Once a Year: A good rule of thumb is to have your garage door tuned up at least annually. Summer and winter are typically the best times to schedule a maintenance appointment. The extreme temperatures of these two seasons cause your door to expand and contract, affecting the performance.
- During the Summer: Summer’s heat and humidity can affect the sensors and wiring in your garage door opener’s motor. Summer is also a good time to wash your overhead door and remove any rust that forms as a result of moisture.
- During the Winter: Winter’s icy conditions dries out the lubrication on rollers and hinges, which is the most common reason that doors have issues opening and closing. Insulating your door is also an essential maintenance task, since heat will have a harder time escaping. This not only keeps your home warm but your utility bills low as well.
- Damaged Springs: Your springs are responsible for lifting and balancing the heavy weight of your door. If you notice missing or rusty parts, it’s best to call in a professional. One wrong move could result in crushed fingers or toes.
- Worn Weather Stripping: The vinyl rubber of weather stripping keeps bugs and other pests out of your home. The constant use of your door can cause these strips to wear down and develop holes and rips, so it’s important to have them changed during a maintenance appointment.
Schedule your tuneup with Felluca Overhead Door. As Rochester, NY’s oldest garage door company, they have more than 100 years of experience with repairs, maintenance, and installations. Go online to learn more about their large product line of exterior doors, overhead doors, and more. For any questions about services, such as emergency garage door repairs, give them a call at (585) 467-2391.