Since most home and business owners don’t deal with burst pipes every day, few know precisely what to do should it happen to them. As a leading provider of flood damage and emergency services in the Goshen, NY, area, Mr. K’s Carpet Service helps homes and offices in Rockland, Orange, and Albany counties recover from burst pipes.
Here, they explain the steps you should take immediately if a pipe bursts in your house or business:
- Turn Off the Water: First and foremost, turn off the main water supply to your home or business. If you are unable to do so or don’t know how, call an emergency plumber for help.
- Shut Off the Power: If there’s a risk of water seeping into any outlets or otherwise coming in contact with electricity, turn the power off completely by shutting it down at the meter box. After completing the following three steps, you should also contact your electrician to alert them of the situation.
- Grab Your Essentials: If you can do so safely, grab any important documents or other priceless belongings in the way of the water’s path to keep them damage-free. Of course, keeping pets and children out of the affected area is advisable until the emergency crew has resolved the problem.
- Open Up: Watching your floors become saturated with water can be upsetting, but the professional flood damage and emergency services personnel will perform rug and upholstery cleaning to restore your dwelling. For now, you can open the doors and windows in any water damaged areas to speed up the drying process.
- Call for Help: Once you’ve completed the steps mentioned above, contact the necessary parties to have the pipe repaired. You can call Mr. K’s Carpet Service for prompt, high-quality flood damage and emergency services. Thereafter, you may also need to contact your home owners’ insurance provider.