Whether it's hours away or across the country, relocating is often an emotional process, especially for children. According to the moving company M. Dyer & Sons, when kids are involved, it’s preferable to move during the summer when the school year ends. Based in Honolulu, HI, and trusted throughout the state, these movers know it’s easier this way. There's no stress about outstanding homework assignments, there's time for the kids to say goodbye to their friends, and by the time the next school year starts, they won't have to worry about unpacking and reorganizing.
Beyond timing, the movers at M. Dyer & Sons have a few more recommendations:
- Communicate: As early as possible, let your children know when and where you'll be relocating. Share as much as you can about the new location and answer all their questions thoroughly.
- Validate Their Emotions: Moving affects everyone differently. Some kids may be prone to anger, others to sadness; let them know that’s normal and allow them to voice any of their concerns.
- Nurture Interest: If your children express any interest in relocation-related activities like decorating their room or even the house, foster that curiosity. It's a sign they're excited about the move!
- Explore the Neighborhood: It's not always possible, but if you're moving less than an hour away, try to take your kids on a trip to a shopping center or park in the new neighborhood.
- Establish a Routine: Creating a basic routine and carrying it over to the new location can be incredibly helpful in managing stress. This can be as simple as having a stringent schedule of waking up, having breakfast, and walking the dog at specific times.
M. Dyer & Sons have more advice about moving online, but if you need specific information and assistance, don't hesitate to call them directly at (800) 922-2490. With nearly 50 years of local, inter-island, mainland, and international moves, you can trust that whatever your needs may be these movers have the skills to fulfill them.