No one likes being in a dusty home that makes them sneeze, but many people don’t realize how much poor indoor air quality can impact their family’s health. Several factors can affect the air quality in your home and the HVAC professionals at All-Temp Heating & Cooling in Waynesboro, VA, offer a variety of services that help reduce the contamination and keep you and your family breathing easier.
According to the EPA, indoor air pollution is one of the top five environmental risks to public health. Here are a few of the most common threats found in homes:
- Poor Ventilation: Newer homes are built to be airtight. This is great for insulation and energy efficiency, but it doesn’t allow polluted or stale air to escape or fresh outdoor air to enter your home.
- Secondhand Smoke: Smoking indoors is not only dangerous for the smoker, but also for anyone else living in the home. Secondhand smoke contains chemicals that are known carcinogens and can cause stroke, heart attacks, or asthma issues.
- Household Cleaners: Common household cleaners also contain chemicals that can impact the air quality in your home. Many of these products contain volatile organic compounds (VOCs) that can lead to respiratory and allergy problems.
- Dust & Dander: Dust and pet dander are two contaminants that can trigger allergy attacks. Dust mites thrive in homes with higher humidity and are often found on bedding, drapes, and furniture. Pet dander tends to stay airborne and increase respiratory issues.
- Moisture & Mold: If your home has too much moisture, it can encourage mold spores to grow and be released into the air, where it contributes to allergies and asthma. Lowering the humidity in your home by installing a dehumidifier can address any moisture issues and improve your indoor air quality.
- Dirty Air Filters & Ducts: Your HVAC system can help reduce many of these common threats to your home’s air quality, but only if it’s properly maintained. Replacing dirty air filters and cleaning ductwork on a regular basis can help eliminate some of these risks from household pollutants and keep the air you breathe clean.
If you are concerned about the air quality in your home, call the HVAC experts at All-Temp Heating & Cooling. They’ll determine whether you need to install or repair your heating and cooling system, clean your ducts, or need an air cleaning system. For more information on all the company’s services, including heating or air conditioning repair, visit them online, then call (540) 448-2470 to schedule an appointment.