Every dentist knows that getting kids to brush their teeth can be a real challenge for parents. While teaching them to brush at a young age will establish good dental hygiene habits for the rest of their lives, finding the right toothbrush for your little one can be difficult. The team at Smile-Savers Pediatric Dentistry in the Bronx, NY, wants to help.
Below, they share some tips to make finding the right toothbrush less of a hassle:
- Get the Right Size Brush: Just because a toothbrush has your child’s favorite cartoon character on the handle doesn’t mean it’s the right brush for them. Larger heads are fine for older children with larger mouths, but if your child is young, it may be too big for them. Most children’s toothbrushes have age guidelines on the package that will help you find the right fit for your child.
- Softer is Better: While you may be fine with medium or stiff bristles, your child’s mouth is more tender. When in doubt, opt for softer bristles. Softer brushes will keep your child’s gums happy, even if they brush teeth with a bit more force than necessary.
- Consider the Grip: Kids typically lack the fine motor skills adults have and can benefit from a bigger grip or thicker toothbrush handle. Look for a toothbrush with a larger, kid-friendly handle to make brushing easier. The more easily they can brush their teeth, the more willing they’ll be to do it.
- Call Your Pediatric Dentist: If you’re unsure about which toothbrush will work for your child, don’t hesitate to call their dentist. They’ll know which brands will provide the most effective cleaning and can give you an idea of which size to choose based on your child’s age.
- Pick a Brush They’ll Use: The most important part of finding a toothbrush for your child is picking one they’ll use. If possible, let them help you choose a brush. If they feel more involved in the process, they’ll likely be more willing to brush their teeth on a regular basis, with or without prompting.
Get your child’s dental health off to a good start with help from their dentist, and start establishing early dental care habits today. The dentists at Smile-Savers Pediatric Dentistry want to keep you child’s smile bright and cavity-free. Visit their website to learn more about their services and call (718) 708-6755 to schedule an appointment.