Radon testing is crucial to the safety of your family. Radon gas is present in all homes throughout the United States. However, the EPA has established 4.0 pCi/L as the level at which action is highly recommended to lower radon levels to reduce long-term risks. In Eastern Nebraska more than 60% of the homes are found to exceed the EPA action threshold. A to Z Radon Solutions, the premier radon company in Lincoln, NE, has installed more than 4,200 radon mitigation systems in dwellings throughout the area and can explain why it’s crucial to test for this gas. All aspects of their radon test program utilize Licensed Radon Specialists certified by the State of Nebraska. Using continuous radon monitors, these Specialists are able to identify the presence of radon gas and determine whether it’s at an unacceptable level.
What Is Radon Gas?
Radon gas is a carcinogenic radioactive gas. You can’t see, smell, or taste it, so it’s undetectable without the proper equipment and knowledge. It occurs naturally through the radioactive decay of uranium, which is found in rock and soil. Radon gas exists in the form of individual atoms, which means it can permeate barriers like concrete, mortar, paint, and other materials that have small cracks or is of a porous make-up.
What Are the Effects of Radon Gas Exposure?
Radon gas emits alpha waves, the same radiation generated by other radioactive substances such as plutonium. Radon exposure usually occurs through inhalation and it’s the second leading cause of lung cancer in the United States. Estimates from the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency and Surgeon General's Office suggest radon gas exposure leads to about 22,000 deaths and costs taxpayers more than $2 billion dollars in medical care costs each year.
A to Z Radon Solutions, the most experienced radon testing and mitigation company in Lincoln, NE, can determine whether your home has a radon gas problem and reduce it to a safe level. Visit their website to learn more about their services and call (402) 742-5806 to schedule a test of your home.