Whether you’re moving down the block or across the country, transitioning to a new home can feel overwhelming. If you’re wondering where to begin, the professionals from Chaz Moving in Sparta, WI, provide the tips you need to ensure a smooth relocation.
To diminish stress and improve organization, it’s helpful to prepare at least six months prior to moving day. Here are a few ways to deal with your belongings in advance:
- Document: Go room by room, documenting what items you plan to keep, sell, and donate in each one. Also, take careful note of any valuables. In addition to writing the details of these valuables down, take photos of them. You may wish to have items like art and antiques appraised in case they somehow get damaged during the move. That way, you are optimally set up to receive insurance reimbursements.
- Stock Up: Purchase or gather plenty of boxes, box cutters, wrapping materials, and tape so you are ready to begin packing. Having a well-stocked supply of moving and packing materials in advance will save you time and trouble later on.
- Start With The Non-Essentials: If possible, begin boxing up non-essentials at least three weeks before moving day. Start with your garage, attic, and other storage areas that contain belongings you don’t use frequently.
- Number & Color Code: Stay organized by numbering boxes and tracking contents on an inventory list. Color coding the boxes by room will also aid you in packing and unloading later on.
- Stick To Your System: About two weeks before your move, decide whether you’d like to pack room by room or by another system. For example, if you’re moving into a new home with a very different layout, room by room may not work for you. Instead, you might want to start with clothing, then cleaning supplies and appliances, and so on.
To simplify your next big move, contact the professionals from Sparta’s top moving company. For more information about how Chaz Moving can help you, call them today at (608) 269-6683 or visit their website.