Depending on the climate you live in you may have heard about winterizing your car or your lawn sprinkler system or other things around your house, but did you know you should be thinking about winterizing your hair?
As temperatures fall, the level of moisture in the air falls with it. Dry air can be damaging to your hair as the moisture you’ve worked so hard to keep in your hair evaporates more quickly into the atmosphere. Moisture is especially important to African-American hair care, whether your hair is natural or relaxed. For the best growth, it’s important in natural hair care to make sure you keep your hair moisturized.
These are the things I do to keep my hair safe through the harsh Ohio winters.
- I wet my hair daily. Moisture from the outside can be absorbed into the hair shaft. When I wash I mostly do a conditioner wash. I only use shampoo once a month or so.
- I do some type of hair treatment at least once a week. I use henna treatments. I deep condition with my favorite conditioner. I also use clay based masks. (Can you keep a secret? I’ve been testing a new hair mask. It will be a hair treatment you are surely going to want to try. STAY TUNED!!!!)
- After wetting my hair, I use natural oil products to seal in the moisture. These products, as well as conditioners, help to seal in the precious moisture that is key to natural hair care. Treasured Locks African Argan Oil Elixir is fantastic for this.
- I cover my head when I am out in the cold weather. Hats that keep in moisture are also helpful for keeping heat in.
- I wear a satin cap at night. Believe it or not, cotton pillow cases can wick the moisture right out of your hair. A satin cap or a satin pillow case is very helpful.
- My hair is short so I can't do any protective styles but I suggest them is you have long hair.
- I drink plenty of water. Water inside and water outside are important to maintaining that proper moisture balance.
Find the very best natural hair care products in one convenient online store—visit Treasured Locks to check out our exemplary inventory. We are proud to offer personalized advice and will be glad to speak with you about your hair and body care options at (513) 759-2206.