Trees are living things that breathe, grow, and thrive. The trees on your property can mark the passage of time, appearing in family photos year after year. But as the tree specialists at Nelson Tree in North Huntingdon, PA, know, the trees on your property can also become a liability.
Just as trees bloom and flourish, they can also contract diseases, become uprooted, weaken, and die. When this occurs, you may need professional tree removal services. The arborists at Nelson Tree have been caring for yards in Westmoreland County since 1987. They know that there are several distinctive signs you are in need of tree removal, including:
- Illness: Decaying roots and dead branches are signs that your tree is in poor health and will die soon. Sick trees can spread diseases to healthier plants, so you should have them treated or removed as soon as possible. Some homeowners allow dead trees to decay naturally, but if pests and insects are a concern, you should have dead trees removed immediately.
- Roots Threaten Your Foundation: Strong tree roots can break through cement and concrete. Roots this strong can also damage the foundation of your home. If you notice a tree on your property with roots that are destroying the pavement, you may want to have it removed to protect your home.
- The Tree Is Leaning: As a general rule, a tree that is leaning at an angle of 15 degrees or more should be removed. Although some trees naturally lean, a sudden or sharp lean can be a sign that the tree’s roots are weakening or breaking, a precursor to collapse. A leaning tree can fall on your home, your neighbor’s home, or a passerby, causing extensive structural damage and injuries.
- The Tree Is Hollow: A tree with a hollow trunk can continue living because the nutrient-rich tissue needed to thrive is on the outer edges of a tree’s trunk. However, a hollow trunk can make the tree structurally unsound, presenting a fall hazard.
- Storm Damage: Storms can destroy or uproot a tree. Some light storm damage can be managed through tree trimming and pruning, but if more than 50% of your tree has been damaged, it is considered hazardous and should be removed. If your tree was uprooted by a storm, you should have the broken pieces removed as soon as possible.
Nelson Tree offers scheduled and emergency tree removals while also specializing in lawn care, tree trimming, and stump removal. To speak with one of their tree specialists today, visit their website or call (724) 863-7682.