When you need to hire a competent and experienced divorce attorney, there are steps you should take to prepare for the process. Thompson Law Office in Lexington, KY, has more than 20 years of experience, so they understand what clients need from a lawyer. They offer kind and compassionate legal guidance on a range of issues, from family law to wrongful death.
They offer these steps to take before hiring an attorney for your divorce case:
- Seek Referrals: Ask friends and family members for divorce attorney recommendations. You also can contact the bar association in your state for a list of lawyers specializing in family law.
- Get Financial Records In Order: Asset division can be complicated, so your financial records will be important to your divorce attorney. To ensure you’ll have access to items to which you’re entitled, make sure your records are as detailed as possible.
- Compile Pertinent Legal Documents: Your attorney will need to see all relevant legal documents. This includes paperwork related to the divorce or legal separation as well as pre- or post-nuptial agreements.
- Gather Evidence: If your marriage is ending due to infidelity or abuse, provide evidence of wrongdoing. This information typically comes in handy during the settlement phase.
- Have A Plan: You’ll need to have a cogent plan for custody arrangements. This will allow your attorney to devise a strategy to achieve the best results for you and your family.
Thompson Law Office is dedicated to helping families in central Kentucky navigate the complex process of divorce. Call (859) 280-2222 to schedule a consultation with a skilled divorce attorney. Visit their website to learn more about their services, including bankruptcy and criminal law. Check their Facebook page for updates on this Lexington-based legal practice.