The start of a new school year is a great time to reinforce dental care routines that will help your children’s teeth stay healthy and strong. Discovery Dental provides comprehensive dental care for children and teenagers in Eagle River, AK. This family dentist offers preventative care to keep your child’s smile healthy, while their trained hygienists will teach your kids how to maintain good dental habits.
What can you do to make sure your kids keep up healthy oral hygiene habits during the school year? The family dentists at Discovery Dental offer several tips:
- Start A Routine: Incorporate regular brushing and flossing as part of their morning routine when they’re preparing for school and when they get ready for bed at night. Children should brush and floss twice a day, with each brushing session lasting at least two minutes. Your dentist can teach your children proper brushing and flossing techniques for strong, healthy teeth.
- Drink Water: Pack a bottle of water for your child to take to school, keeping them hydrated during the day. Drinking water regularly also helps keep your kid’s mouth clean, rinses away leftover food, and dilutes bacteria-causing acids in their mouth. It doesn’t leave behind sugary residues that are found in soda and juice, which can stick to teeth and lead to cavities.
- Eat Healthy: Check the school’s lunch calendar and teach your children to select lunches that are healthy. Have them avoid processed or sugary foods. If you pack your child’s lunch, include crunchy fruits and vegetables. They help clean the surface of your kid’s teeth while they chew and the crunchiness makes their teeth stronger.
- Use Protection: Make sure your child has the proper mouth protection as well as the necessary safety equipment when playing sports—especially for baseball, football, soccer, or hockey. If a mouth injury occurs, contact your dentist even if your child doesn’t complain of pain. A minor fall can result in a damaged tooth root that can go unnoticed until it becomes a larger problem in the future.
- Get Regular Checkups: The school year can get hectic, but remember to make time to visit your child’s dentist for regular cleanings and checkups. Proper preventative dental care will help prevent bigger issues as your child gets older.
Keep your children’s teeth clean and healthy with the right foods and good habits. Call Discovery Dental at (907) 622-5437 for more tips on maintaining proper dental hygiene during the school year or visit them online to learn more about their dental care services.