Dental care is something that requires maintenance throughout a lifetime to avoid a crazy-long list of health issues, including gum disease, tooth loss, and even bone loss, among others. The general dentistry team at Discovery Dental in Eagle River, AK, are always happy to review dental care basics with patients, including the best way to brush teeth. Tooth brushing is an essential part of home oral care, as it’s one of the most effective ways to remove plaque.
Let’s look at a few tooth brushing cornerstones to help ensure proper dental care when out of the dentist’s chair:
- Soft-Bristled Brushes: Use a soft-bristled toothbrush rather than a hard-bristled one to keep teeth clean. Aggressive brushing is never necessary, particularly in combination with a hard-bristled brush, as it wears away tooth enamel and contributes to gum recession.
- Two-Minute Rule: Brush teeth for two minutes twice a day. Start by cleaning the outer surfaces of your upper and lower teeth, then inner teeth. Finish by cleaning chewing surfaces and your tongue. Rinse your toothbrush after each tongue stroke to avoid re-adding bacteria.
- Proper Angle: Hold the toothbrush in the palm of your hand so your thumb presses against the handle. Position your brush at a 45-degree angle against the gumline and use a slow, vibrating motion to give pearly whites a deep clean.
- Replacement Recommendation: Replace your toothbrush every three months, if not sooner. Purchase a new brush if you’ve been sick to avoid reinfecting yourself with nasty germs.
- Placement Suggestion: Place your toothbrush in an upright position when not in use so it dries thoroughly. Keep it away from the toilet and apart from family members’ toothbrushes to sidestep cross-contamination.
Discuss these and other mouth-healthy tips with staff at Eagle River’s best dental clinic, and remember to schedule teeth cleanings and exams every six months. The general dentistry team is dedicated exclusively to the dental care of children and teens so they grow up practicing the habits that result in healthy teeth for life. For more on dental care services available through the premier dental clinic, please contact Discovery Dental today. Call (907) 622-5437 or visit the website.