Orthopedic surgery is a serious procedure that can leave you with limited mobility in the recovery period. Choosing an orthopedic surgeon you can trust is essential — but what else should you be looking for? IMUA Orthopedics, Sports & Health in Honolulu, HI, has some tips on how to choose the right surgeon.
If you find yourself searching for an orthopedic surgeon, consider these five points:
- Determine Your Goals: Ask yourself what you hope to accomplish with the orthopedic surgery or procedure you are considering. Do you want relief from everyday pain, or are you hoping to perform vigorous sports activities again? Speak to different orthopedic surgeons to determine if these goals are realistic, as well as if there are alternative options to surgery.
- Ask About Your Doctor’s Expertise: All orthopedic surgeons are qualified to perform a variety of procedures, but different doctors will have different specialties. Talk to your doctor about their areas of expertise. In some cases, they may refer you to someone who specializes more in the procedure you need.
- Decide On A Location: Some patients prefer to visit clinics close to home. This makes it easier to come back for post-surgery visits and decreases the hassles associated with travel. However, be aware that some big city clinics may have more modern technology at their disposal. If you live in a small town, it may be worth it to take a trip for your operation.
- Ask About Innovation: In some instances, there may be new cutting-edge rehabilitation and surgery methods available to address your problem. Are you open to being part of a clinical study that tests new methods? If so, talk to your orthopedic surgeon about your options.
- Assess The Trust Factor: Academic and medical credentials aside, do you actually like your possible surgeon? Trust is a very important factor. If something doesn’t feel right to you, go with your gut and keep looking! The first orthopedic surgeon you visit won’t necessary be the one you choose to treat you.
IMUA Orthopedics, Sports & Health is Oahu’s go-to expert not only for orthopedic surgery, but also for osteopathic manipulation and minimally invasive treatments such as nutritional medicine and lifestyle coaching. They are proud to embrace an overall approach to healthcare and believe you can take control of your health at any age. If you have questions about orthopedic surgery, trust their orthopedic doctors to advise you. Visit their website or call (808) 521-8170 for an appointment.