If you are ready to dive into wedding planning and looking for guidance on choosing a cake, look no further. Our staff has compiled our top five tips to help you along the way. We hope these little tidbits will make your cake tasting, designing, and selecting all the more fun and joyful!
1. Be transparent about the budget – If you have a dream cake in mind but you’re afraid your budget can’t accommodate it, talk to your baker openly about your concerns. In most cases, they will collaborate with you so the details you want will still be incorporated without destroying your overall wedding budget. By being honest, you can work together to find a cake that suits you, instead of avoiding this aspect and then dealing with an anxiety-inducing bill.
2. Think outside the box - When it comes to your wedding cake, the sky is the limit in terms of all the options you can choose from. If you are torn between two different flavors or cake styles, why not have both? If you prefer cupcakes to a traditional cake, why not do that instead? There is no textbook definition of what a wedding cake has to be, it’s all up to you and your partner to make up your own rules.
3. Do your research - From finding out the difference between fondant and buttercream frosting to determining what flavor, color, height, and style you want for your cake, there are a lot of factors worth researching before you make your final choice. Ask your friends and family for suggestions and browse Instagram and Pinterest for plenty of inspiration. Save the photos that excite you most so you can share them with your baker and nail the specific look you are going for.
4. Keep the tastings small – While every aspect of the wedding planning may feel like cause for celebration, there’s a time and a place for larger group events versus smaller, intimate ones. For the cake tasting, try to invite no more than five people, or else risk having too many opinions thrown at you all at once.
5. Don’t wait until the last minute – With so many wedding planning activities going on, you may not realize how close to the deadline you are. To ensure your cake is made with ample time so it can encapsulate your vision, give the bakery enough notice. If you are getting married during a particularly popular time of year, your dream bakery might already be booked for the next month or more. Also, if you are looking for a unique ingredient or a particularly intricate design, you need to allow additional time for it to be made.
If you would like to learn more about the ins and outs of wedding cakes, we are here to help. Visit us online to learn more about our selection of delicious celebratory treats and get all your questions answered!