There's no question about it: Moving day is hectic. You have a lot to accomplish in a short amount of time, so it's easy to forget some steps. For over 45 years, the movers at M. Dyer & Sons have been offering high-quality moving services to residents in and around Pearl City, HI. Their biggest priority? Ensuring that your move goes as smoothly as possible.
To that end, here are their last-minute prep tips for moving day:
- Pack A Survival Kit: Pack a bag for each member of your household. It should contain what you'll need for the journey and the rest of the day, like snacks, water, toiletries, medications, a change of clothes, and pajamas. Kids' kits should also include toys or books to help them pass the time, while your pets' moving kits should include a water bowl, treats, food, leashes, and waste bags or litter.
- Important Documents/Items: Pack important and sensitive documents or items in one bag, such as checkbooks, passports, health documents, and jewelry. Keep this bag with you at all times. It should ride up front with you or your partner, not in the back of the truck or with the movers.
- Clean Your Old Home: Clean and defrost the refrigerator and do a walkthrough of the property to make sure you aren't forgetting anything in the basement, attic, or garage.
- Pack Bedding & Toiletries Last: Pack bedding, toiletries, and any other items you'll need to use right away last, so they're right on top in the boxes when you reach your new place. This will save you from having to hunt through boxes for what you need.
- Change Your Address: Change your address with the post office so your mail forwards. Also, be sure to contact the IRS, the DMV, the Social Security Administration, and your financial institutions.
Also, be sure to check out this video for moving help:
M. Dyer & Sons, the premier moving company in Pearl City, offers local, inter-island, mainland, and international moving services. They have 70 professionally trained employees who can skillfully pack, crate, store, and deliver your items safely and securely, even through customs. Visit their website for more information or call (808) 456-4200 to speak to a friendly representative today.