As with many aspects of the home, you probably take certain things for granted, at least until something goes wrong. Among these, having access to hot water ranks highly, which is why it’s important to be mindful of the state of your water heater. There’s little worse than finding out you’ve got no hot water when you need to take a shower on a cold morning. That's why the heating and plumbing contractors at Anchorage, AK-based Arctic Chain Plumbing & Heating emphasize the necessity of water heater maintenance.
So what are the signs that your water heater needs to be repaired? Here are a few of the big ones:
- Leaks: Leaking from the boiler or water heater is never a good thing, which is why it’s always a good idea to periodically inspect the unit.
- Hot Water Supply: Since providing hot water is the heater’s primary objective, its absence should be a dead giveaway, though there are other factors that could play a part. If it doesn’t come back after reigniting the pilot light or restoring power, you’ll need to call a technician.
- Discolored Water: Most models of water heaters will have a special device, called an anode rod, to prevent rust. If water is coming out discolored, this device likely needs repair.
As for replacing your water heater, how do you know when it's time? Let’s take a look:
- Age: Water heaters are designed to last between 10 and 15 years. If you have an older unit, and especially if it’s starting to malfunction, replacing it is probably a good idea.
- Spiking Bills: As an appliance that significantly impacts energy and water consumption, a poorly functioning water heater will cause utility bills to increase. A tell-tale sign that something’s up is a dramatic jump in your energy costs.
- Cost Of Repair: If the cost of repair is very high, especially on an older unit, then replacing it may be the most economical way to go. The efficiency and functionality of a new system, in the long run, will make the investment pay for itself.
There’s certainly a lot to consider, and the experts at Arctic Chain Plumbing & Heating are ready to help. Find out more about this dedicated plumbing services company by visiting their website or calling (907) 344-2060.