Is there a better pairing for food than wine? There are different wines for every dish imaginable, including those that go wonderfully with desserts. If you’re preparing sweets for an upcoming party or event and want to offer wine options that complement your delectable treats, see what the talented team at Lombardi’s Gourmet Imports & Specialties suggest. The Penfield, NY purveyors of gourmet foods happily offer wine recommendations to customers on a regular basis, and provide the following suggestions for various desserts:
- Chocolate: Pair chocolate sweets with delicious vintage port wines, sherries, and last-harvest zinfandels. Ports also go very well with berry, licorice, and coffee-flavored chocolates.
- Cheesecake: Match cheesecake with sweet, sparkling wines to achieve the palate combination you want. Cheesecake is notoriously difficult in terms of wine pairings, however, extra-dry and semi-sweet options are always a hit.
- Citrus: Use super-sweet wines, such as a quality Moscato, with citrus sweets and desserts. It counteracts the acidity in citrus nicely.
- Cookies: Put out your favorite cookies with your favorite wines. Cookies go with most, if not all, wine options.
- Custard: Offer champagne and similar possibilities with custards. For example, California sparkling wines are always a good choice.
- Ice Cream: Find a nice sherry to burst through the cold and fat that makes ice cream a dessert staple. As with cheesecake, ice cream is a more difficult option to pair with wine.
- Cream-Based Pie Or Tart: Provide a sweet yet spicy wine for a cream-based pie or tart. Late-harvest Rieslings and fragrant, oak-based ports are among your best options.