You brush your teeth every day, and sometimes you even remember to floss. While these are good habits to establish, there’s a lot more you can do to keep your teeth and gums healthy and avoid costly oral surgery. The professionals at Oral Surgery Associates in Anchorage, AK, are here to discuss some common oral hygiene problems and ways to solve them:
- Tooth Decay: Certain foods like candy, cookies, and soft drinks can leave deposits on your teeth that bond with bacteria to create plaque. Too much plaque can damage the mineral structure of your teeth and lead to tooth decay.
- Sensitive Teeth: Teeth expand and contract as the temperature changes, and those with sensitive teeth can find eating and drinking to be quite painful. Eventually, tooth enamel can wear down, creating small cracks and exposing nerve endings.
- Gum Disease: Excess plaque on the teeth can lead to inflammation and gum disease. If left untreated, tooth loss can occur, creating the need for cosmetic dentistry, tooth extractions, and even dental implants.
- Bad Breath: Also called halitosis, bad breath happens when food particles and plaque build up in the mouth. It can be easily solved by practicing good brushing and flossing habits.
- Canker Sores: These small recurring sores on the inside of the mouth can be the result of poor oral hygiene or brushing your teeth too vigorously.
A lot of oral hygiene problems can be prevented by adopting good brushing and flossing habits, avoiding excess sugar or starches in your diet, and scheduling regular visits to the dentist.
For existing problems, to improve your oral hygiene, or to inquire about dental surgery, visit Oral Surgery Associates. Dr. William F. Bergeron and Dr. Ray Holloway are both board certified in maxillofacial and oral surgery and have extensive training in hospital-based anesthesia and surgical procedures. They are currently on staff at Alaska Regional and Providence Hospitals and are assisted by a team of top-notch surgical assistants who are trained in intravenous sedation.
If you need any type of oral surgery, including dental implants, wisdom teeth removal, teeth extractions, or jaw surgery, call Oral Surgery Associates today at (907) 561-1430 to schedule an appointment, or visit the OAS website.