The orthopedic doctors and sports medicine specialists at IMUA Orthopedics, Sports & Health in Honolulu are dedicated to providing exceptional care to help patients achieve a healthy, active life. In addition to offering orthopedic surgery and osteopathic manipulation, IMUA Orthopedics, Sports & Health provides nutrition advice and lifestyle coaching.
Spending hours each day sitting behind a desk can have a negative impact on your health. Sitting for extended periods of time increases your risk of obesity, cardiovascular disease, and diabetes, as well as other chronic health conditions. Here are five simple workplace exercises designed to keep you moving and increase your fitness during the work day:
- Take The Stairs: When traveling to and from the office, or to meetings on another floor, take the stairs instead of the elevator.
- Under-Desk Leg Lifts: While sitting, at your desk or elsewhere, straighten one leg and hold it in the air for 5-10 seconds, then lower it slowly to the ground. Switch legs and repeat, alternating legs until you complete 15 reps with each.
- Water Bottle Curls: Hold a water bottle in your hand, palm upwards. Lower the bottle to thigh level, bend your elbow and curl the arm with the bottle toward your chest. Repeat in sets of 15 reps, alternating the hand that holds the bottle. No water bottle? Try a stapler or wireless phone handset instead.
- Seated Ab Crunches: While seated at your desk, breathe in and tighten your abdominal muscles as you exhale. Hold your abs tight for 10 seconds, release and repeat.
- The Office Walk: Take the long way to the restroom, the coffee maker, or the fridge, making a circuit of your floor or office each time you leave your desk. Make an effort to get up and walk at least every couple of hours.
Even simple exercises can help increase your fitness and decrease your chances of developing chronic health conditions like diabetes and obesity.
To learn more about wellness coaching, or if you need an orthopedic surgeon, sports medicine specialist, or nutritionist, call IMUA Orthopedics, Sports & Health at (808) 521-8170, contact them online, or stop by the office in Honolulu.