Automobile accidents are frightening, overwhelming experiences, but immediately afterward, it's important not to panic. Your actions after a crash can have a significant impact on receiving compensation for your damages later. If you're involved in an accident, Weingast Law, personal injury lawyers serving the Hartford area, recommend the following:
- Get Medical Attention: If anyone in your car is hurt, the first priority is getting them the medical attention they need. Don't forget to check on the other car, as well.
- Don't Apologize: You may feel the urge to take the blame for the crash, but any apologies or offers to pay for damages may negatively impact your ability to collect compensation for your damages.
- File A Police Report: If anyone is hurt, you're required to call the police. However, it's a good idea to file a police report anyway since your insurance company may want to see it.
- Collect Contact Info: Get the contact information of the other driver, as well as any witnesses. Your personal injury attorney will want to speak with them about what they saw later on.
- Find An Attorney: The insurance company will try to pay you as little as possible, so it pays to have an experienced professional on your side with the skills and expertise they need to collect the damages you deserve.
Weingast Law has unique insight when it involves the legal system and a range of services, from wills to criminal defense. They have an impressive track record of results; visit their website, or call (860) 233-1440 to schedule a consultation with one of their attorneys today.